... for persecution is worse than slaughter..(part of 2:191)
Join photobucket today!

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Israel approves 1,100 new settlement homes.

Published on 27 Sep 2011 by Euronews - Israel says it has approved the construction of 1,100 homes in a Jewish settlement in East Jerusalem.



Tuesday, September 27, 2011

U.S. Continues to Back Afghan Warlord Linked to 2006 Massacre and Torture of Prisoners.

General_abdul_raziq_web
New revelations about a U.S.-backed warlord in Afghanistan are raising questions about whether the United States has violated its own laws in its aim to defeat the Taliban.

The Atlantic magazine reports the United States, under both former President George W. Bush and President Obama, has actively supported the police commander in Kandahar, General Abdul Raziq, despite knowing of his involvement not just in corruption and drug smuggling, but also in major human rights abuses including killings and torture. Raziq has been a key figure in the U.S. strategy of supporting Afghan warlords in order to weaken the Taliban, working closely with U.S. special forces.

He was promoted to head the police in Kandahar earlier this year after playing a key role in the U.S.-backed assault on the Taliban one year ago. The allegations against Raziq include responsibility for the torture of two teenage boys and the killing of 15 people in 2006. According to an investigation by our guest, Matthieu Aikins, for The Atlantic, the United States has continued supporting Raziq despite having been aware "of credible allegations that Raziq and his men participated in a cold-blooded massacre of civilians."

MORE - DN[includes rush transcript] Sept 27, 2011




Saturday, September 24, 2011

Welcome to Boston, Mr. Rumsfeld. You Are Under Arrest.


Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld (picture) has been stripped of legal immunity for acts of torture against US citizens authorized while he was in office.

The 7th Circuit made the ruling in the case of two American contractors who were tortured by the US military in Iraq after uncovering a smuggling ring within an Iraqi security company.  The company was under contract to the Department of Defense.   The company was assisting Iraqi insurgent groups in the “mass acquisition” of American weapons.  The ruling comes as Rumsfeld begins his book tour with a visit to Boston on Monday, September 26, and as new, uncensored photos of Abu Ghraib spark fresh outrage across Internet.  Awareness is growing that Bush-era crimes went far beyond mere waterboarding.


Republican Senator Lindsey Graham told reporters in 2004 of photos withheld by the Defense Department from Abu Ghraib, “The American public needs to understand, we’re talking about rape and murder here… We’re not just talking about giving people a humiliating experience. We’re talking about rape and murder and some very serious charges.”  And journalist Seymour Hersh says: “boys were sodomized with the cameras rolling. And the worst above all of that is the soundtrack of the boys shrieking that your government has.”

Rumsfeld resigned days before a criminal complaint was filed in Germany in which the American general who commanded the military police battalion at Abu Ghraib had promised to testify.  General Janis Karpinski in an interview with Salon.com was asked: “Do you feel like Rumsfeld is at the heart of all of this and should be held completely accountable for what happened [at Abu Ghraib]?”

Karpinski answered: “Yes, absolutely.”  In the criminal complaint filed in Germany against Rumsfeld, Karpinskisubmitted 17 pages of testimony and offered to appear before the German prosecutor as a witness.  Congressman Kendrick Meek of Florida, who participated in the hearings on Abu Ghraib, said of Rumsfeld: “There was no way Rumsfeld didn’t know what was going on. He’s a guy who wants to know everything.”

And Major General Antonio Taguba, who led the official Army investigation into Abu Ghraib, said in his report:
“there is no longer any doubt as to whether the [Bush] administration has committed war crimes. The only question is whether those who ordered the use of torture will be held to account.”
September 20, 2011 | read full repor


Thursday, September 22, 2011

Libya: Just whose side is Western intelligence really on?

Broadcast Date: 10 Sep. 2011 - Following recent revelation that the US, UK and Gaddafi were collaborating over torture, rendition and kidnap of Libyan men living in exile.



Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Black Hole of Guantánamo: The Sad Story of Ravil Mingazov

The Black Hole of Guantánamo: The Sad Story of Ravil Mingazov
Ravil Mingazov, the last Russian in Guantanamo, has been in US custody since 2002 - without charge, trial or hope.
Regular readers will know that the Guantánamo prisoners’ habeas corpus petitions led to the release of 26 prisoners between December 2008 and January 2011, providing confirmation that the US courts were able to address mistakes made by the Bush administration in rounding up “detainees” in its “War on Terror,” to expose those mistakes, and even to provide a remedy for them by securing the release of prisoners who should never have been held.

Last year, however, the D.C. Circuit Court — dominated by right-wingers, including Senior Judge A. Raymond Randolph, notorious for supporting every piece of Guantánamo-related legislation that was later overturned by the Supreme Court — began to fight back, pushing the lower courts to accept that very little in the way of evidence was required to justify detentions.
I have long railed against the inability of the executive, lawmakers or the judiciary to address the built-in problems of detention policies in the “War on Terror” — the Bush administration’s dreadful decision to equate the Taliban with al-Qaeda, thereby ensuring that both soldiers and terror suspects were held as interchangeable “detainees” at Guantánamo, and continue to be held as such.
This remains a huge problem, almost entirely ignored by the mainstream media in the US, although it is matched by the media’s lack of interest in what has happened since the D.C. Circuit Court began to dictate detainee policy, even though that has led to success for the government on every appeal, with the Circuit Court reversing or vacating the lower courts’ rulings in six habeas petitions, and has also led to the last eight habeas petitions (since July last year) being refused (see herehereherehere and here for the evidence).
One of the prisoners who won his petition, but remains held while the government appeals, is Ravil Mingazov, a citizen of the former Soviet Union, whose story I told in detail when his habeas petition was granted by Judge Henry H. Kennedy Jr, in May 2010, in an article entitled, “Judge Orders Release from Guantánamo of Russian Caught in Abu Zubaydah’s Web.”
One of Ravil’s lawyers, Allison M. Lefrak, who is the litigation director at Human Rights USA, described as “a nonprofit organization in Washington working to bring US laws in line with universal human rights standards,” recently wrote an article for the National Law Journal, describing the lack of progress in Ravil’s case, and her most recent visit to see him in Guantánamo.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Trial of Destruction: Sarkozy sued for Libya crimes.

Uploaded by RussiaToday on Sep 19, 2011 - (You may find some of the images in Daniel Bushell's report disturbing) In Libya, the volatile situation shows no sign of abating - a month after Colonel Gaddafi was ousted. The country's interim leaders are struggling to form a cohesive cabinet - while their forces are still locked in battle with Gaddafi's remaining supporters.

 The defiant loyalists are making a last stand in three key cities. Sirte, Bani Walid and Sabha have been under heavy assault for over a week, with reports Gaddafi and his sons could be hiding there.
 Meanwhile, the rest of Libya is reeling from months of civil war, which has left tens of thousands dead. Ongoing NATO airstrikes have also reportedly killed a number of civilians by mistake. But some Western leaders are now facing charges at home over their military intervention.




Saturday, September 10, 2011

& where the British Army went the torture goes!

9 Sept 2011 - They did it in Malaya, Borneo Malaysia - it was banned, but they did it again in Iraq.